Re: Database encoding and collation

From: Craig James <cjames(at)emolecules(dot)com>
To: Rodrigo Barboza <rodrigombufrj(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Database encoding and collation
Date: 2013-04-20 16:52:55
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 5:12 PM, Rodrigo Barboza <rodrigombufrj(at)gmail(dot)com>wrote:

> Hi guys.
> I created a database with default encoding (SQL_ASCII) and default collate
> (C).
> I created a table test like this:
> create table test (a varchar (10));
> Then i executed "insert into teste (a) values ('áéç&ã','Æ','ß');
>
> After that:
> select * from test;
> ---------
> áéç&ã
>
> Why did it stora correctly if those values are not ASCII?

Characters are interpreted and displayed by your terminal, not the Postgres
system. I suspect that you have language settings on whatever windowing
system you use. Postgres merely interprets the characters you send as a
series of 8-bit bytes. It's up to your display system to interpret them.
If you change your display terminal's language, I expect you'll see
something different.

The language settings of Postgres don't change what is stored, only how it
is interpreted (such as sorting).

Craig