Re: Opinions on SSDs

From: Craig James <cjames(at)emolecules(dot)com>
To: "David F(dot) Skoll" <dfs(at)roaringpenguin(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Opinions on SSDs
Date: 2013-08-12 15:39:38
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 8:28 AM, David F. Skoll <dfs(at)roaringpenguin(dot)com>wrote:

> 3) Our current workload peaks at about 5000 transactions per second;
> you can assume about one-third to one-half of those are writes. Do
> you think we can get away with 16 10Krpm SATA drives instead of the
> SSDs?

pgbench peaks out at 5K-7K transactions per second on my server which uses
just 10ea. of 7Krpm SATA drives:

WAL: RAID1 (2 disks)
Data: RAID10 (8 disks)
3Ware RAID controller with BBU
2x4 core Intel CPUs
12 GB memory

I don't know how pgbench compares to your workload. But suspect 16 10K
SATA drives would be pretty fast if you combine them with a BBU RAID
controller.

On the other hand, I swore this would be the last server I buy with
spinning storage.

Craig