Re: Cannot retrieve images inserted through VB and odbc, after a table reorganization.

From: Craig James <cjames(at)emolecules(dot)com>
To: Alanoly Andrews <alanolya(at)invera(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cannot retrieve images inserted through VB and odbc, after a table reorganization.
Date: 2014-09-03 16:12:41
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 8:13 AM, Alanoly Andrews <alanolya(at)invera(dot)com> wrote:

> *We have an issue with images (**TIFF files) that are loaded into a
> postgres database table (where the image field is defined as type **“**lo*
> *”**)**. The code to load the images is written in VB and the connection
> to the database is through postgres odbc** installed on the PC. * *All
> images inserted through the VB program are retrievable also through
> odbc/VB, as long as the table **rows **at the backend **are** not re**organized
> in any way. If the table dat**a** is unloaded/reloaded or clustered (on
> an index) or rel**oaded through a pg_dump and restore, then **on trying
> to retrieve the images, **the VB program gets the error : **“**Multiple-step
> OLE DB operation generat**ed errors. Check each OLE DB status value**……*
> *etc**”**.*
>
> *The data in the backend database is still readable through other image
> retrieval progr**ams connecting directly to the server (not through ODBC
> or VB).*

Are you reloading into the very same database, or into a different one?
Your question doesn't make it clear. If you're loading into a new database,
then one thing that comes to mind is that the bytea_output parameter in
postgresql.conf might be different on the second database.

Craig

--
Craig A. James