Latest advice on SSD?

From: Craig James <cjames(at)emolecules(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-performa(dot)" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Latest advice on SSD?
Date: 2018-04-10 02:36:27
Lists: pgsql-performance

One of our four "big iron" (spinning disks) servers went belly up today.
(Thanks, Postgres and pgbackrest! Easy recovery.) We're planning to move to
a cloud service at the end of the year, so bad timing on this. We didn't
want to buy any more hardware, but now it looks like we have to.

I followed the discussions about SSD drives when they were first becoming
mainstream; at that time, the Intel devices were king. Can anyone recommend
what's a good SSD configuration these days? I don't think we want to buy a
new server with spinning disks.

We're replacing:
8 core (Intel)
48GB memory
12-drive 7200 RPM 500GB
RAID1 (2 disks, OS and WAL log)
RAID10 (8 disks, postgres data dir)
2 spares
Ubuntu 16.04
Postgres 9.6

The current system peaks at about 7000 TPS from pgbench.

Our system is a mix of non-transactional searching (customers) and
transactional data loading (us).

Thanks!
Craig

--