Column type changed "spontanously"?

From: Chuck Martin <clmartin(at)theombudsman(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Column type changed "spontanously"?
Date: 2019-05-09 13:14:35
Lists: pgsql-general

I have several columns that were created as "timestamp without time zone",
but I changed them in 2014 to "timestamp with time zone". Recently, when I
got notified that times had suddenly changed, I checked and found the
columns had reverted to "timestamp without time zone." This seems
impossible, yet it seems to have happened. Any ideas on what could cause
this? My application has the privileges to do this, as it changed the data
type to support time zones. But there is no code that could change it back
not to support time zones.

The database in on

"PostgreSQL 9.3.1 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 4.4.7
20120313 (Red Hat 4.4.7-3), 64-bit"

What other information would help solve this?

Chuck Martin
Avondale Software