array vs bit fields for masking

From: Chip Nowacek <chip(at)twostewards(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: array vs bit fields for masking
Date: 2012-06-17 15:03:09
Lists: pgsql-general

Hey. I'm new to postgresql. Impressive.

I am building an app with core tables in a central schema and user access
via views in separate schemas. I have to manage versioning and system
configuration at the row level. My initial thinking was to have a bit field
for each quality: version BIT(20), config(20). Each view would mask based
on those fields. Then (multi-dimensional) arrays crossed my mind. Any
performance / maintainability thoughts in using arrays vs bit fields?

Thanks,

Chip