Indexes on UUID - Fragmentation Issue

From: Uday Bhaskar V <uday(dot)bhaskar579(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Indexes on UUID - Fragmentation Issue
Date: 2018-10-29 13:29:40
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,

I have searched in many postgres blogs for Sequential UUID generation,
which can avoid Fragmentation issue.

I did a POC(in postgres) with sequential UUID against Non sequential which
has shown lot of different in space utilization and index size. Sql server
has "newsequentialid" which generates sequential UUID. I have created C
function which can generate a sequential UUID, but I am not sure how best I
can use that in postgres.

I would really like to contribute to Postgres, If I can. Please let me know
your thoughts or plans regarding UUID generation.

Regards,
Uday