Re: DB Authentication Design

From: Szymon Guz <mabewlun(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: François Beausoleil <francois(at)teksol(dot)info>
Cc: Forums postgresql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DB Authentication Design
Date: 2014-01-12 14:58:31
Lists: pgsql-general

On 12 January 2014 15:30, François Beausoleil <francois(at)teksol(dot)info> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm thinking that all apps that connect to the database should have their
> own user. For example, the web application process is one user, then a
> report builder process should have another user, and a different process
> that imports data should have his own too, and so on. Would you generally
> agree with that?
>
> I'm thinking that by having different users, PGbouncer can create
> different pools, and better allow me to control concurrency.
>
> Thanks!
> François

Hi
I think the main idea should be that each user has different credentials,
so for example a user for building reports shouldn't be allowed to change
the database. Otherwise you'd end with a bunch of users, and from the
security perpective, there wouldn't be much difference between this and
having just one user.

regards,
Szymon