Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"

From: Szymon Lipiński <mabewlun(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Guyren Howe <guyren(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pierre Chevalier Géologue <pierrechevaliergeol(at)free(dot)fr>, Will McCormick <wmccormick(at)gmail(dot)com>, Uwe Schroeder <uwe(at)oss4u(dot)com>, PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"
Date: 2016-05-21 09:07:48
Lists: pgsql-general

On 20 May 2016 at 22:43, Guyren Howe <guyren(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On May 20, 2016, at 13:38 , Pierre Chevalier Géologue <
> pierrechevaliergeol(at)free(dot)fr> wrote:
> >
> > Le 04/05/2016 18:29, Szymon Lipiński a écrit :
> >> On the other hand, when I was trying to store all my logic in a
> >> database, there was just one thing that made me hate it. Testing.
> >> Testing the procedures inside the database was not easy, not funny, and
> >> too much time consuming.
> >
> > Yes, very good point.
>
> Are there any best practices or tricks to make this easier?

I only write tests outside the database. Currently I'm involved in projects
where all the logic is outside, so having tests outside is rather obvious.
However I have a small toy project with logic inside the database, and
tests outside. I also think that it doesn't matter where the tests are, it
is important to have them, and run them. I'm not sure that tests inside are
much better solution.

--
regards Szymon Lipiński