Re: Expression errors with "FOR UPDATE" and postgres_fdw with partition wise join enabled.

From: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Expression errors with "FOR UPDATE" and postgres_fdw with partition wise join enabled.
Date: 2018-07-04 10:11:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 3:36 PM, Etsuro Fujita
<fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:

> I don't produce a test case where the plan is an Append with Gather
> subplans, but I'm not sure that it's a good thing to allow us to consider
> such a plan because in that plan, each Gather would try to grab its own pool
> of workers. Am I missing something?

If the overall join can not use parallelism, having individual child
joins use parallel query might turn out to be efficient even if done
one child at a time. Parallel append drastically reduces the cases
where something like could be useful, but I don't think we can
theoretically eliminate the need for such a plan.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat