Re: Rethinking plpgsql's assignment implementation

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Rethinking plpgsql's assignment implementation
Date: 2020-12-27 23:08:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

so 26. 12. 2020 v 19:00 odesílatel Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
napsal:

> Hi
>
> I repeated tests. I wrote a set of simple functions. It is a synthetical
> test, but I think it can identify potential problems well.
>
> I calculated the average of 3 cycles and I checked the performance of each
> function. I didn't find any problem. The total execution time is well too.
> Patched code is about 11% faster than master (14sec x 15.8sec). So there is
> new important functionality with nice performance benefits.
>
> make check-world passed

I played with plpgsql_check tests and again I didn't find any significant
issue of this patch. I am very satisfied with implementation.

Now, the behavior of SELECT INTO is behind the assign statement and this
fact should be documented. Usually we don't need to use array's fields
here, but somebody can try it.

Regards

Pavel