Re: [patch] [doc] Minor variable related cleanup and rewording of plpgsql docs

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [patch] [doc] Minor variable related cleanup and rewording of plpgsql docs
Date: 2021-03-12 20:48:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

pá 12. 3. 2021 v 21:36 odesílatel Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> napsal:

> Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > pá 12. 3. 2021 v 21:08 odesílatel Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> napsal:
> >> I attach a v3 that I like better, although there's room to disagree
> >> about that.
>
> > I am not sure if people can understand the "optimizable command" term.
> More
> > common categories are DML, DDL and SELECT. Maybe it is easier to say. DDL
> > statements don't support parametrizations, and then the variables cannot
> be
> > used there.
>
> Yeah, but DML/DDL is a pretty squishy separation as well, besides
> which it'd mislead people for cases such as CREATE TABLE AS SELECT.
> (Admittedly, I didn't mention that in my version either, but if you
> think in terms of whether the optimizer will be applied then you
> will draw the right conclusion.)

Can it be better to use word planner instead of optimizer? An optimization
is too common a word, and unfortunately a lot of people have no idea what
optimization in SQL means.

It can be pretty hard, because the people that have problems here don't
know what is a plan or what is an optimization.

> Maybe there's no way out but to specifically list the statement types
> we can insert query parameters in.

can be