Re: PostgreSQL equivalent of UTL_HTTP

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: aditya desai <admad123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql Performance <pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL equivalent of UTL_HTTP
Date: 2021-08-11 19:13:41
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi

st 11. 8. 2021 v 20:57 odesílatel aditya desai <admad123(at)gmail(dot)com> napsal:

> Hi,
> We are migrating Oracle to PostgreSQL. We need the equivalent of UTL_HTTP.
> How to invoke Web service from PostgreSQL.
>
> Also please let me know the PostgreSQL equivalents of below
> Oracle utilities..
>
> utl.logger,UTL_FILE,UTL_SMTP

you can use extensions https://github.com/pramsey/pgsql-http or
https://github.com/RekGRpth/pg_curl

You can use an routines in untrusted PLPerl or untrusted PLPython, but
these routines can be really unsafe (due possibility to break signal
handling).

Personally, I think using http access in stored procedures is a very bad
idea - access from transactional to non-transactional (and possibly pretty
slow) environments creates a lot of ugly problems. Stored procedures are
great technology with a pretty bad reputation, and one reason why is usage
of this technology for bad cases.

I think this mailing list is wrong for this kind of question. There is no
relation to performance.

Regards

Pavel