Re: RFC: Remove contrib entirely

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: RFC: Remove contrib entirely
Date: 2015-05-29 07:50:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 4:11 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> > 1. VS requires relatively new MS Windows - problem for people with Ms
> Win 7
> > and older
>
> Really, I use Win 2k8 stuff and Win7 quite a lot.

On Win 7 you have to search and install now unsupported VS EE 2010.

VS Express 2013 requires Win 8. And finding VS 2010 is not simply - I had
to take install files from some private sources.

> > 2. After installation you have to find and apply some critical fixes -
> some
> > is bad documented.
>
> Example? Perhaps we could improve the docs then.

It was a VS 2010 related issues - not PostgreSQL issues

> > I have a few customers on MS Win - nobody was able to compile extension
> > there - and I had lot of trables - (but I worked with MSVC ten years ago)
>
> Well, FWIW, I have some extensions compiled on Windows using MSVC
> modules with stuff like perl -I src/tools/msvc build.pl that are out
> of the vanilla scripts and it works... The script is rather simple
> even if a bit grotty.

see steps from
http://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/68644/problems-while-building-plpgsql-check-on-windows

It is not hard for Windows C++ developer, It is little bit messy for Linux
developer, and it is out of possibility usual Windows Visual Basic (and
similar level) developers.