Re: SET syntax in INSERT

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SET syntax in INSERT
Date: 2016-01-14 19:06:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 12:13 PM, Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to> wrote:
> > SET syntax for INSERT was brought up a few years ago here:
> >
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/2c5ef4e30908251010s46d9d566m1da21357891bab3d@mail.gmail.com
> >
> > From the discussion it seems that one committer was against, one
> committer
> > was not against, and one committer saw something good in the proposal.
> > Personally, I believe this would be a huge readability improvement to
> > INSERTs with more than a few columns. I'm willing to put in some work to
> > make this happen for 9.7, but I'd like to know that I'm not wasting my
> time.
>
> I'm mildly in favor of this proposal. I think that "-1 PostgreSQL
> isn't MySQL!" is maybe the lamest reason for not supporting useful
> syntax that I can think of.

Now I am able to write more correct argument. It is one from basic SQL
statement, and for using proprietary syntax should be pretty strong reason.

Probably there is less risk than 7 years ago, but still creating own syntax
isn't the best idea. This is syntactic sugar only and different from ANSi
SQL or common standard.

Regards

Pavel