Re: Microsoft buys GitHub, is this a threat to open-source

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Nolan <htfoot(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Microsoft buys GitHub, is this a threat to open-source
Date: 2018-06-04 18:44:37
Lists: pgsql-general

> On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 12:15 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>
>> Michael Nolan <htfoot(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> > Microsoft has bought GitHub for $7.5 billion, is this a threat to the
>> open
>> > source community?
>>
>> A fair question, but one that seems entirely off-topic for the Postgres
>> lists, since we don't depend on GitHub. (And that's a thing for which
>> I'm very glad today.)
>>
>> regards, tom lane
>>

> Core postgres is OK, but I think there are a number of postgres-related
> projects that might be on places like GitHub.

I have few projects there - Orafce, plpgsql_check, and pspg. I hope so
these projects are well protected by BSD licence - and distributed
redundant nature of git. I hope so there is not reason for panic this
moment. I have not a big data in non git sources - issues, and others.

But I understand so there are projects that are (can be) in conflicts of
interests with Microsoft, and it can be problem.

Regards

Pavel