Re: Danger of automatic connection reset in psql

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Oleksandr Shulgin <oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Danger of automatic connection reset in psql
Date: 2016-11-11 04:37:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > How about, instead of all this, adding an option to psql to suppress
> > the automatic reconnect behavior? When enabled, psql just exits
> > instead of trying to reconnect.
> >
> +1. But, existing users may not notice addition of the new option and
> still continue to face problem. If we add the option and make it
> default not to reconnect, they will notice it and use option to get
> older behaviour, but that will break applications relying on the
> current behaviour. Either way, users will have at least something to
> control the connection reset.

The reconnect in not interactive mode is a bad idea - and there should be
disabled everywhere (it cannot to break any application - the behave of
script when a server is restarted must be undefined (100% if ON_ERROR_STOP
is active). In interactive mode it can be controlled by some psql session
variables like AUTOCOMMIT.

Regards

Pavel