Re: Debugging set up for Postgres?

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: James Creasy <james(at)buildtrue(dot)io>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Debugging set up for Postgres?
Date: 2024-08-08 17:40:29
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi

čt 8. 8. 2024 v 19:16 odesílatel James Creasy <james(at)buildtrue(dot)io> napsal:

> Hi all,
>
> We've spent about 12 hours trying to set up a working debugger for psql
> functions without success, trying both PGAdmin 4 v8.3 and DBeaver.
>
> The online searches turn up multiple instructions for Postgres 12 or
> older, however we are using 16. Our extensions include PostGIS and
> supporting extensions like SFCGAL.
>
> We can get the PGAdmin debugger to stop at a breakpoint, but as soon as it
> exits a function, PGAdmin crashes ("error when executing continue") and has
> to be restarted.
>
> We also tried direct debugging, but the inputs to our functions are often
> json objects, and there isn't a way to paste such an object into the Value
> field.
>
> My question is: is there a way to effectively step debug psql functions in
> Postgres 16 and how?

Do you think plpgsql functions?

There should not be any change if I know - you need to use PLdebugger
extension, and then you can use plpgsql debugger.

Maybe you use more extensions that use plpgsql debug API in one moment -
plprofiler, or plpgsql_check. This is not supported (plpgsql_check is
exception, but it should be loaded last).

Regards

Pavel