Re: PSQL: argument exceeds the maximum length of 1024 bytes

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Hubert Lubaczewski <depesz(at)depesz(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PSQL: argument exceeds the maximum length of 1024 bytes
Date: 2013-10-12 17:34:52
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello

I looked to source code and this error message is only in fuzzystrmatch
extension. Please, next time, specify a PostgreSQL version number, and used
extensions.

I looked to source code, and these limits are defined in
/contrib/fuzzystrmatch/ levenshtein.c or fuzzystrmatch.c - you can find
these messages and related constant. Then you can change it and recompile
extension. If I understand to source code well, these functions are heavy
memory extensive - so there is relative low limit as protection to swap or
OOM killer.

One trick:

if you use a verbose mode, then you can get much more info about error.

postgres=# select 10/0;
ERROR: division by zero
Time: 0.793 ms

postgres=# \set VERBOSITY verbose