Re: parser that could handle "FROM... SELECT..." as well as "SELECT... FROM..."

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Marius Andreiana <marius(dot)andreiana(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: parser that could handle "FROM... SELECT..." as well as "SELECT... FROM..."
Date: 2019-10-08 07:25:21
Lists: pgsql-sql

út 8. 10. 2019 v 9:14 odesílatel Marius Andreiana <
marius(dot)andreiana(at)gmail(dot)com> napsal:

> Hi Pavel,
>

>> Personally I don't see any benefit of proposed feature - It breaks
>> portability of SQL queries (that is not high today).
>>
> It would be up to each developer which form to use. Some use only
> PostgreSQL and don't need portability.
> Also, more DBs could parse the new format as well in the future, so this
> issue will go away. Need to start somewhere.

I cannot to accept this argument. Lot of developers miss global
perspective, and expect what is supported by one database, then all others
supports too. Lot of code is created by mistake, and if parser will be
tolerant, then this mistake will not be fixed.

I don't like a idea, so Postgres is first database that breaks ANSI/SQL. If
ANSI/SQL changes syntax, I'll be for it.

More, I think so current strict mode is better for readability - every body
knows, where can expect some, it is easy and simple. Don't see any reason
to change it.