Re: Session Identifiers

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: oleg yusim <olegyusim(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Session Identifiers
Date: 2015-12-20 17:53:56
Lists: pgsql-general

> So Pavel, are are saying there is no such thing as Session ID in
> PostgreSQL DB at all? Everything is tight to the process, session is
> accociated with, so in essence pid is session id?

There is backendId and processid, but these id are valid only for one
session, and after logout these ids are invalid - usually they are used for
fast access to static shared arrays - PGPROC array and similar - mainly for
info about snapshots and locks. These arrays are static - new sessions
immediately reuse space after destroyed sessions.

But there are not any info comparable with session id on web applications.
It is significantly different architecture - fast, simply and different.

Pavel