Re: Re: PostgreSQL needs percentage function

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nick Dro <postgresql(at)walla(dot)co(dot)il>
Subject: Re: Re: PostgreSQL needs percentage function
Date: 2017-12-18 16:19:08
Lists: pgsql-general

> Hi,
> I know how to implement this. It's not the issue.
> It's very easy to implement absolute value as well yet still PostgreSQL
> gives abs(x) function which is build in function.
> My claim is that if there is a build in function for absolute value why
> not for percentage? Both are very basic mathematical operations.
>
> Can you give a good reason why absolute value has a build in function
> while percentage is not?

probably history

abs is some basic functions - the implementation is not primitive. Percent
function is maybe in spreadsheets, but I don't remember this function from
any classic language - more it can be simply implemented by numeric
operators.

In this case, I am not a fan of this functions, you can write just 25 *
0.20

Regards

Pavel