Re: [DOC] Introducing Quick Start Guide to PL/pgSQL and PL/Python Documentation

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ishaan Adarsh <ishaanad9(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [DOC] Introducing Quick Start Guide to PL/pgSQL and PL/Python Documentation
Date: 2023-12-21 13:03:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

čt 21. 12. 2023 v 13:37 odesílatel Ishaan Adarsh <ishaanad9(at)gmail(dot)com>
napsal:

> The recent documentation patches are part of my GSoC 2023 project
> <https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/GSoC_2023#Postgres_extension_tutorial_.2F_quick_start>
> to develop a comprehensive PostgreSQL extension development tutorial, it
> assumes only a basic knowledge of Postgres and the target programming
> language.
>
> The entire project is available on GitHub: Postgres-extension-tutorial
> <https://github.com/IshaanAdarsh/Postgres-extension-tutorial/blob/main/SGML/intro_and_toc.md>.
> It covers many topics, including prerequisites, writing extensions,
> creating Makefiles, using procedural languages, incorporating external
> languages, writing regression tests, and managing extension releases. *The patch submitted
> for procedural languages, specifically PL/pgSQL and PL/Python, is part of
> the procedural language section within the broader tutorial. *
>
> Based on the feedback I think there is a real need
> <https://twitter.com/jer_s/status/1699071450915938609> for this as this
> is a very important and growing part of the Postgres ecosystem. Currently,
> all the extension material is scattered and very limited. There are
> various third-party blog posts focusing on different areas, and sometimes
> contradictory. The main motivation behind making this is to make the barrier
> for entry less prohibitive for new contributors.
>
> I would greatly appreciate your input on how to add it to the existing
> documentation (this is where I have major doubts) and any suggestions on
> how to proceed. If there are areas where the existing documentation is
> already sufficient or if there are ways to improve the overall structure, I
> am open to making adjustments.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/plpgsql-development-tips.html and
new section - deployment or packaging to extensions

I agree so https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/plpgsql-overview.html is
under dimensioned, but packaging should not be there

Regards

Pavel