Re: unexpected error " tables can have at most 1600 columns"

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Day, David" <dday(at)redcom(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: unexpected error " tables can have at most 1600 columns"
Date: 2015-04-13 16:05:48
Lists: pgsql-general

> Situation
>

> I have a co-developer installing a new Virtual Machine and encountering a
> postgres error during the installation.
>
> One of our SQL patch files is failing unexpectedly.
>

> The patch is attempting to add columns to a table, The table involved
> currently has only 2 columns,
>
> Interactively I can generate the same error in his current state.
>

> psql -h ohio -U redcom ace_db
>
> psql (9.3.6)
>
> Type "help" for help.
>

> ace_db=# select * from log.conference_history;
>
> conf_id | max_size
>
> ---------+----------
>
> (0 rows)
>

> ace_db=# ALTER TABLE log.conference_history ADD talker_limit integer
> DEFAULT 0;
>
> ERROR: tables can have at most 1600 columns
>
> ace_db=#
>
> ace_db=#

There can be removed (invisible columns)

select attname from pg_attribute where attrelid = 'test'::regclass and
attnum > 0;

postgres=# select attname from pg_attribute where attrelid =
'test'::regclass and attnum > 0;
┌─────────┐
│ attname │
╞═════════╡
│ a │
│ c │
│ d │
└─────────┘
(3 rows)

alter table test drop column a, drop column c;

postgres=# select attname from pg_attribute where attrelid =
'test'::regclass and attnum > 0;
┌──────────────────────────────┐
│ attname │
╞══════════════════════════════╡
│ ........pg.dropped.1........ │
│ ........pg.dropped.2........ │
│ d │
└──────────────────────────────┘
(3 rows)

postgres=# select count(*) from pg_attribute where attrelid =
'test'::regclass and attnum > 0 and attisdropped;
┌───────┐
│ count │
╞═══════╡
│ 2 │
└───────┘
(1 row)

So maybe it can be a reason of this issue?

Pavel