Re: lo_create(oid, bytea) breaks every extant release of libpq

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: lo_create(oid, bytea) breaks every extant release of libpq
Date: 2014-06-12 05:01:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Meanwhile, we have to either revert the addition of lo_create(oid,
> > bytea) altogether, or choose a different name for it. Suggestions?
>
> I wonder if there's any use case where we need to store bytea into
> large objects. Don't we already have bytea data type? If the use case
> is for large data which does not fit in a tuple, I am afraid that the
> query string could become extremely big one.

I know a one use case - and I used it in my one application. For one my
customer I wrote a application that ensures a data change between two
independent subjects based on XML. It was relative simple architecture -
applications solved a communication, and stored procedures solved a content
- good success was a using of SQL/XML. After few years the communication
protocol was enhanced about attached tiff scans - serialized in base64 in
result XML doc. I had to quickly fix a this application with minimal
impacts to others applications. And LO API is perfect for transporting
binary data from/to database. But next I needed a functions for conversion
between bytea and LO.

Regards

Pavel