Re: slower connect from hostnossl clients

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: slower connect from hostnossl clients
Date: 2016-06-07 10:46:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 11:31 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:

>>> That's definitely not expected behavior. hostnossl should turn off ssl
>>> which should turn off the overhead completely. Does it make a difference if
>>> you also disable it from the client side?
>>>

>> When I explicitly disabled ssl, then I seen significantly less time
>>

> Intersting. Can you check with a network trace that it actually turns off
> ssl, so nothing is broken there?

I tested it on local only. The difference is +/- 5-10 ms, but it is well
visible

My customer tested it on network, but on Windows, and there difference is
about 100ms

Pavel

> One thing that could be taking the time is an extra roundtrip -- e.g. it
> tries to connect with ssl fails and retries without. A network trace should
> also make this obvious, and can hopefully show you exactly where in the
> connection the time is spent.

See attached log

My pg_hba.conf

# TYPE DATABASE USER ADDRESS METHOD

local all all trust
# IPv4 local connections:

hostnossl all all 10.151.1.41/32
trust
# IPv6 local connections:
host all all ::1/128 trust

connection string
host=10.151.1.41 port=5432 dbname=postgres user=pavel

Regards

Pavel

> --
> Magnus Hagander