Re: range_agg

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Paul A Jungwirth <pj(at)illuminatedcomputing(dot)com>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: range_agg
Date: 2019-07-09 19:10:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

út 9. 7. 2019 v 20:25 odesílatel Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com> napsal:

> On Tue, 2019-07-09 at 07:08 +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> >
> > I am not against a multirange type, but I miss a explanation why you
> > introduce new kind of types and don't use just array of ranges.
> >
> > Introduction of new kind of types is not like introduction new type.
>
> The biggest benefit, in my opinion, is that it means you can define
> functions/operators that take an "anyrange" and return an
> "anymultirange". That way you don't have to define different functions
> for int4 ranges, date ranges, etc.

I am not sure how strong is this argument.

I think so introduction of anyrangearray polymorphic type and enhancing
some type deduction can do same work.

It starts to get even more complex when you want to add opclasses, etc.

> Ranges and arrays are effectively generic types that need a type
> parameter to become a concrete type. Ideally, we'd have first-class
> support for generic types, but I think that's a different topic ;-)

I afraid so with generic multiragetype there lot of array infrastructure
will be duplicated

Regards

Pavel