Re: Request: pg_cancel_backend variant that handles 'idle in transaction' sessions

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Request: pg_cancel_backend variant that handles 'idle in transaction' sessions
Date: 2015-11-04 20:09:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 11:26 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:

> bound

> be
> >>
> >> sure. note however any process can manually opt in to a longer timeout.
> >

> > it doesn't help. How I can set transaction_timeout if I have series of
> slow
> > statements? In this case I cannot to set transaction_timeout before any
> > statement or after any success statement.
>
> Not quite following you. The client has to go:
> BEGIN;
> SET transaction_timeout = x;

where is the point when transaction_timeout start? In BEGIN or in SET
transaction_timeout ?

How I can emulate transaction_idle_timeout? Can I refresh
transaction_timeout?

My issue isn't long statements, but broken client, that is broken in wrong
state - connect is still active, but no any statement will coming.

Regards

Pavel