Moving pg_xlog folder

From: Wei Shan <weishan(dot)ang(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Moving pg_xlog folder
Date: 2015-06-27 18:49:38
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi all,

OS: CentOS
PG version: 9.3

I'm testing the scenario of moving the xlog folder to a fast pair of disk.
This was the steps I followed;

1. create new mountpoint with the correct permissions
2. Shutdown DB
3. Create softlink from new mountpoint to $PG_DATA/pg_xlog
4. Startup DB

However, after I start the DB, I hit the following error;

*-bash-4.1$ psql*

*psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory*

* Is the server running locally and accepting*

* connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?*

This issue resolves by itself once I reboot the server after I move the
XLOG. Any ideas what I did wrongly?

Thanks!
--
Regards,