PostgreSQL BTree Index

From: Wei Shan <weishan(dot)ang(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL BTree Index
Date: 2017-08-21 08:36:17
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi all,

How and when does PostgreSQL BTree node balancing? Does it hold a full tree
lock? I'm assuming there will be an edge case in performance degradation
where the right tree is very much longer than the left.

The split algorithm merely splits a node into 2 with the page is full,
however I don't think it will resolve the problem of unbalanced Btree.

Thanks!