Re: Sequence of processing: WAL / shared buffers

From: Wei Shan <weishan(dot)ang(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sequence of processing: WAL / shared buffers
Date: 2016-01-28 12:57:25
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-novice

Hi Jurgen,

If synchronous_commit is enabled, transaction commit will wait for WAL
records to be written to disk before the command returns a "success" indication
to the client. Shared buffers is not involved when commit is issued. For
flushing of shared buffers to data files, we can use checkpoint instead.
BGWR in charge of writing shared_buffers to the datafiles.

Thanks!