Conflict Management in Postgres hot standby

From: Wei Shan <weishan(dot)ang(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Conflict Management in Postgres hot standby
Date: 2015-06-02 00:06:48
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi all.

I come from an Oracle background. I understand that if we are running a
long running query on the standby and the table is dropped on master, the
XLOG replay will be delayed.

I would like to understand why is this not happening in Oracle Active
Dataguard setup. I'm guessing because of the 'C' in ACID, that conflicting
query on master is being kept in the UNDO log of the slave until the long
running query is over.

I will probably run this test on my laptop this week when I get the chance.
But does anyone know the reason?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.