Re: LISTEN / NOTIFY

From: Erik Brandsberg <erik(at)heimdalldata(dot)com>
To: aditya desai <admad123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql <pgsql-sql(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: LISTEN / NOTIFY
Date: 2021-10-11 16:59:06
Lists: pgsql-sql

As others have said, a queue system and message system are not exactly the
same. Can you explain your goal, as the listen/notify may not be
appropriate for your use. If what you want is really just a message
system, then the example we based our code on is at
https://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/81/listennotify.html.

Keep in mind, if you connect (or reconnect) to the listen interface, you
won't get any messages sent before it, so it isn't exactly what you want if
you need a persistent queue, say for a job queue. We use it for
invalidating cache content.