Re: Too many waits on extension of relation

From: Sushant Pawar <sushant(dot)pawar(at)ashnik(dot)com>
To: Michael Lewis <mlewis(at)entrata(dot)com>
Cc: avinash varma <avinashvarma443(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pgsql Performance <pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Too many waits on extension of relation
Date: 2020-10-05 17:38:48
Lists: pgsql-performance

We are also getting similar warning messages in the log file, for Insert
operation as it is blocking concurrent inserts on the same table. As per
the online documents, I have come across, suggest is because the Postgres
process takes time to search for the relevant buffer in the shared_buffer
area if shared_buffer is too big.

In the highly transactional system, there may not be enough free buffers to
allocate for incoming transactions. In our case allocated shared buffer is
24GB and has RAM 120GB, not sure whether we can call it too big but while
querying pg_buffercache has always given indication that 12-13GB
shared_buffers would be appropriate in our case. I have used the below URL
to evaluate the shared buffer sizing.

https://www.keithf4.com/a-large-database-does-not-mean-large-shared_buffers/

Best Regards,

*Sushant Pawar *