Re: Will This Work?

From: Jayadevan M <maymala(dot)jayadevan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Will This Work?
Date: 2013-09-12 04:29:37
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,
I don't think an oracle dump file will work with PostgreSQL. You could look
at tools like ora2pg which will do both - pull data/procedures from Oracle
and then load into PostgreSQL. It also provides a lot of flexibility so
that you could change the in-built data type mapping from Oracle to
PostgreSQL.
You could also have a look at orafce so that your Oracle codew with
sysdate/dual etc work in PostgreSQL.
If you are looking for continuous replication from Oracle to PostgreSQL,
rather than a one time migration, GoldenGate should do the job. There may
be inexpensive alternatives to GoldenGate.
Regards,
Jayadevan