Re: Hardware Requirements

From: Jayadevan M <maymala(dot)jayadevan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: vjoshi(at)zetainteractive(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-in-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hardware Requirements
Date: 2014-12-10 03:16:03
Lists: pgsql-in-general

> 1. What hardware entities[RAM, Storage, Disk, RAID level etc. ]
> should we keep in mind while finalizing the requirement? Sorry for my
> ignorance here as I am totally new to this territory.

You could have a look at the type of config you have now. I think Netezza
ia a bit of a black box. Still, you may be able to get the RAM/CPU ?

> 2. What should be the plan of action for performance benchmarking?

Have a look at jmeter, that is what we use for performance testing. It
helps you generate load and provides decent analysis on response times. You
do need to get the response times for the queries in Netezza and then
compare that with what you get from PostgreSQL. Ensure you are executing
queries with different values for filters (check how to parameterize you
queries in jmeter -
http://testingfreak.com/tools/jmeter/parameterization-in-jmeter/) If you
use the same filters, the result will be in memory after the first round
and you are bound to get 'good' results afterwards. There are good videos
(youtube) on how to use jmeter. jmeter is not the easiest tool to learn,
but once you are past the initial 1-2 days learning curve, you will realize
it is pretty powerful.
If you are using a tool for reporting, you may be able to just make it
connect to PostgreSQL and do a comparison - no need for jmeter.