Doubts on startup costs

From: Jayadevan M <maymala(dot)jayadevan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Doubts on startup costs
Date: 2014-03-30 15:15:09
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

A few academic questions related PostgreSQL query planner and output -

In the output of EXPLAIN for SQL statements I have seen so far, the startup
cost for the innermost node/leaf has been 0. Are there situations where it
may be non-zero?

The startup costs for outer nodes will always be equal to or greater than
the total cost of the inner nodes? (My guess is NO, there may be cases
where the outer node can start processing before the inner node is
completely done).

Regards,
Jayadevan