Re: Encryption of pdAdmin on OpenShift with TLS termination type reencrypt

From: Khushboo Vashi <khushboo(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Boon-Hooi(dot)Choo(at)t-systems(dot)com
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Encryption of pdAdmin on OpenShift with TLS termination type reencrypt
Date: 2022-06-07 04:59:56
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hello,

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 1:58 AM <Boon-Hooi(dot)Choo(at)t-systems(dot)com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>

> I am trying to encrypt the connection from client side to the pod of
> pgAdmin 4 (container) on OpenShift. I have included a certificate
> (server.cert) and a key (server.key), which are extracted from the PFX file
> from our certificate operator on OpenShift. I have *succeeded* to encrypt
> the connection with TLS termination type “*edge*”, which is defined in
> YAML file for route for pgAdmin 4. With type “edge”, we only encrypt until
> the HA-Proxy (Router of OpenShift).
>
> However, when I tried to change the TLS termination type to “*reencrypt*”,
> with destination CA certificate provided, I have received a TLS handshake
> problem. I have tried to research online, and I believed that it is because
> I am trying to do a SSL connection to a non-SSL pod of pgAdmin 4. Do you
> know how could we change the config file of pod (NGINX?) and add the line
> of “host 443 ssl” to the server? (P.S.: I use the image of pgAdmin from
> crunchydata registry in my deployment YAML file.)

You can get the idea regarding NGINX settings at
https://www.pgadmin.org/download/pgadmin-4-container/, and this document
supports the pgAdmin container image
<https://www.pgadmin.org/download/pgadmin-4-container/> (not the crunchy
data registry.).

Thanks,
Khushboo

Thank you so much for your attention, any help would be much appreciated!