Re: Usability improvements for PgAmin4

From: Khushboo Vashi <khushboo(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: César Arriaga Egüés <tolega(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgadmin-support(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Usability improvements for PgAmin4
Date: 2018-03-19 03:39:37
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi César,

On Sun, Mar 18, 2018 at 6:18 PM, César Arriaga Egüés <tolega(at)hotmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Dear friends at Pgadmin developer team:
>

> First of all I would like to thank very much you your commitment and
> effort in developing such usable and professional tools like PgAdmin.
>

> But also I want to make you know that in my opinion PgAdmin4 has lose in
> usability and performance respect to PgAdmin III, where I was used to
> access the information in a more rapid way (with the same hardware). Of
> course I’m sure that PgAdmin4 has a lot of advantages regarding to his new
> architecture: maintainability, multi-platform, etc., that they will
> contribute to the future of this tool.
>

> Regarding to usability: it is difficult for me to explain all the worse
> user experience situations but I must say that in a whole the user
> experience is worse.
>

> That is the reason for not having adopted yet PgAdmin4 in my daily work
> (after some test drives) and why I’ve been using PgAdmin3 until today.
>

> But that is going to an end: I am started to use PostgreSQL 10 and PgAdmin
> III issues to many compatibility errors… In other words: I am now forced to
> rid of PgAdmin III and search for other alternatives.
>

> Issues to point (I enclose the reference to a previous thread regarding
> some of them):
>
> - Performance:
> - Starting the application.
> - SQL Pane: time to refresh the SQL corresponding to a DB object.
>
> As per your comments, I think you are using pgAdmin 4 in Desktop runtime
mode.
The new version of pgAdmin 4 is going to release soon, with this release
you will find the better performance.

https://redmine.postgresql.org/projects/pgadmin4

> -
> -
> - Query info notifier: related to the previous. I strongly
> discourage you to use such kind of “moving” UI artifacts. Things that
> appear and disappear could be nice and fancy for some users but also
> annoying and focus losing:
> - If you configure it to disappear: you want have the info. when
> you need it unless you click (another click) the message history.
>
> We have already added configurable keyboard shortcuts for the common
functionalities, so one can navigate through keyboard easily. You will have
this feature in the next release.

> -
> -
> -
> - When the notifier disappears: distraction, focus lose. We are
> information users, needed of concentration, focus…
>
> The feature request to add an option to disable the notification animation
has been already added @https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/1978 and that
is on priority.

> -
> -
> -
> - If you configure it to not disappear: you will get a stack of
> messages that you will have to hide manually (each one)…
> - Thanks god (and you) that you can configure to show Query tool in
> a new Browser window (detachable from the main window indeed), but:
> - It would be also useful to be able to configure these new
> windows would be detached when they are created.
> - Ctrl++, Ctrl+-, don’t work in detached Query Tool windows. I
> suppose this can be amended.
>
> This issue will be fixed in the next release.

> -
> -
> -
> - Backup and restore feedback: the same problems stated due to the
> use of “notifier toasts”.
>

> Related conversation:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/1597397302.
> 9546526.1506434712083%40mail.yahoo.com#1597397302.9546526.
> 1506434712083(at)mail(dot)yahoo(dot)com
>

> Thanks again for your work. Looking forward to see these and new
> improvements in incoming versions.
>

> César Arriaga

Thanks,
Khushboo