Re: External (REMOTE_USER) Authentication

From: Khushboo Vashi <khushboo(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Richard Laager <rlaager(at)wiktel(dot)com>
Cc: "pgadmin-support lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: External (REMOTE_USER) Authentication
Date: 2021-08-31 05:38:15
Lists: pgadmin-support

HI,

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 2:17 AM Richard Laager <rlaager(at)wiktel(dot)com> wrote:

> Is there a way to have pgAdmin 4 (the web version) use external, e.g.
> Apache-provided, authentication? We have the authentication already
> under control in Apache using mod_auth_tkt (so importantly, we are NOT
> using LDAP or Kerberos). I simply want pgAdmin 4 to look at the
> REMOTE_USER environment variable for the username (and I suppose, create
> that user if it does not exist).

> Alternatively, is there a way to make pgAdmin 4 use a fixed user /
> disable authentication entirely. Since the authentication is being
> provided by the web server, the pgAdmin code will not be executed
> unless/until the user has authenticated. I do not actually need multiple
> users from a pgAdmin perspective, as I'm just trying to administer
> "localhost".
>
> The web server authentication feature has already been logged and the work
is in progress. Ref: https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/6657
Once it has been implemented, pgAdmin will consider REMOTE_USER and the
user will be logged into pgAdmin if it has been authenticated by web server.

By that time, you can use pgAdmin in Desktop mode (single user mode), in
which you don't need to login, it works as a desktop application as you do
not need multiple users.
You can get the installation details @ https://www.pgadmin.org/download/
Documentation ref:
https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/5.6/desktop_deployment.html