G+PostgreSQL Advocacy

From: John Graber <devopsdba(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: G+PostgreSQL Advocacy
Date: 2014-07-29 00:48:23
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hello All,

So, this is just kind of an "FYI" note to everyone on the list for no
specific reason beyond, "Well, this is the advocacy list and these are
people that might care to know such things!"

A few months ago, Thom pinged me about co-managing the G+ profile for
PostgreSQL (and therefore the G+ Community as well). I happily jumped at
the chance, as I'm quite the staunch advocate of G+ (in spite of the stigma
it undeservedly has, imho), and as much as I enjoy Postgres it seemed a
no-brainer for me. And today, for no particular reason, I thought it worth
noting the following:

As I write this, our Twitter feed has 3,821 followers.

By contrast, we have 9,710 following our Google+ page
<https://plus.google.com/+PostgreSQL/posts>, and 3,159 people in its G+
Community <https://plus.google.com/communities/116371937400081693174>.

I wanted to point this out, as it's not unlikely that G+ is probably flying
under (or off) your radar in spite of the fact that there are plenty
community members on Blogger and/or Gmail and/or YouTube. And if you've
never considered it before, I wanted to encourage you to share your blog
posts, YouTube presentation videos, and so forth; on the Community page. A
recent share of one of Dave Page's interviews, for example, proved quite
popular.

On a related note — As Kris & Gabrielle have recently graciously
(unwittingly? ;) ) allowed me to volunteer to get a G+ presence going for
Postgres Open, I'm hoping to get some more synergy going in the realm of
Postgres advocacy on Google+ with just a little more cross posting between
organizations and events, as well as a little more activity from community
members from time to time — even if it's just posting your latest blog post
to drive more traffic to your blogs. That would be a win for Postgres, in
my mind.

Various other IT communities and topics are quite popular and active on
G+. Take Python, for example, with a community of over 100,000. And
personally, I'd like to see us surpass the 7k+ MongoDB community at some
point soon ;)

That is all. Carry on. Thanks for you time!

— John

[image: John Graber on about.me]

John Graber
about.me/john.graber