Crash recovery after dropdb crash

From: neha khatri <nehakhatri5(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Crash recovery after dropdb crash
Date: 2016-05-17 15:02:14
Lists: pgsql-novice

I was experimenting with the crash recovery of server. So I simulated a
crash in dropdb command.

After the crash recovery the server seems to be in inconsistent state. The
pg_database still has the dropped database's information. But when I try to
connect to that DB following error is seen:
FATAL: database "testdb" does not exist
DETAIL: The database subdirectory "base/xxxxx" is missing.

It seems this is know behavior, the code comment in dbcommands.d indicates
that:

/*
* Force synchronous commit, thus minimizing the window between removal of
* the database files and commital of the transaction. If we crash before
* committing, we'll have a DB that's gone on disk but still there
* according to pg_database, which is not good.
*/

Is this a bug and needs a fix?

Regards,
Neha