Re: Auto-tuning work_mem and maintenance_work_mem

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Auto-tuning work_mem and maintenance_work_mem
Date: 2013-10-10 19:41:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> How do we handle the Python dependency, or is this all to be done in
> some other language? I certainly am not ready to take on that job.

I should think it possible to reimplement it in C. It was considerably
useful to start by implementing in Python, as that evades various sorts
of efforts needed in C (e.g. - memory allocation, picking a hash table
implementation), and allows someone to hack on it without needing to
run through a recompile every time something is touched.