Read only role for backup

From: Tom Browder <tom(dot)browder(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Read only role for backup
Date: 2020-01-24 12:32:31
Lists: pgsql-novice

I am using a new PostgreSQL 12 installation on a Linux box and would like
to be able to back up the entire cluster as an ordinary user.

I already have myself set up as an ordinary pg user with the same name as
my Linux name, and I am using a .pgpass file for easy access.

I know I can, inside Postgres, grant myself select access on an
object-by-object basis, but is there any simpler way to do it for the whole
cluster?

Thanks.

-Tom