Replication slot dropped in Bidirection rep: column addition

From: ravi k <ravisql09(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Replication slot dropped in Bidirection rep: column addition
Date: 2024-05-16 13:29:59
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Team,

I noticed replication drops while adding column to the table in postgres16.

There is not much delay in adding column to the both servers.

Here are the steps to reproduce:

Server1:
--run infinite loop tx with each loop commit and delay for 3 sec
--another session ran the following column addition
ALTER TABLE customers
ADD COLUMN phone VARCHAR(25);

Server2:
--run infinite loop tx with each loop commit and delay for 3 sec
--another session ran the following column addition
ALTER TABLE customers
ADD COLUMN phone VARCHAR(25);

*Please let me know if this is a bug in postgres16 or Am I
missing something?*

*Due to this issue ,I am planning to disable subscriptions while adding new
columns ?*

Thanks,
Ravi