SUB # How to configure / calculate the semaphore related values while making changes to max_connections

From: gk chinna <gkchinna(dot)postgresql(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SUB # How to configure / calculate the semaphore related values while making changes to max_connections
Date: 2016-07-27 23:47:41
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi Team,

I want to increase the max_connections on postgresql 9.4 , when going to
change the max_connections , i believe we need to consider changing the
work_mem and kernel semaphore , file descriptor values as well .

At present , i have kernel.sem set to value 250 32000 100 128 , and in
google found someone suggesting the value of kernel.sem = 4096 512000
1600 2048 .

Is there any way to calculate these values ? Is it really necessary to
modify ? I believe it is necessary to modify the semaphore values as this
is playing role in communicating between the processes .

Your help in this regards is highly appreciated , thanks in advance for
spending your valuable time to help me.