vacuum full suddently took extremely long

From: Bert <biertie(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: vacuum full suddently took extremely long
Date: 2013-07-29 07:08:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

yesterday, in the process of bloat control, our maintenance script decided
to do a vacuum full on a table, because there was more than 50% free space
/ dead records due to a massive update.

The table normally takes about 20minutes to do a vacuum full (int he last
couple of months we already did this 2 times), but this time it took over
8hours, while the table did not grow significantly.

Does anyone has an idea what could have triggered the vacuum go this slow?

wkr,
Bert

--
Bert Desmet