Re: Using a VIEW as a temporary mechanism for renaming a table

From: Ben Buckman <ben(at)shyp(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using a VIEW as a temporary mechanism for renaming a table
Date: 2016-06-08 19:57:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks Andy.

My understanding, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that the view will
effectively inherit the table's constraints, because writes to the view
that can't be written to the table will fail on the table. Re: "will the
data be good data," what risks should I be considering?

In terms of rollout, we would 1) create the view, 2) deploy code that uses
the new [view] name, 3) drop the view and rename the table. Deployments are
"rolling" so there would be no downtime. The app and users shouldn't
notice/care if they're hitting the table or the view.

Thank you