Re: CREATE/DROP ROLE transactional? GRANT/REVOKE?

From: Dominique Devienne <ddevienne(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CREATE/DROP ROLE transactional? GRANT/REVOKE?
Date: 2023-03-06 15:25:24
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Mar 6, 2023 at 4:06 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Dominique Devienne <ddevienne(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > Hi. Perhaps I missed it in the doc (e.g. [1]), but are DDLs around ROLEs
> > and GRANTs transactional?
>
> Your expectation is set wrongly.

Thanks for the precision Tom.

Although I'm not sure where you read my expectectation was wrong. But
nevermind.

> DDL commands in Postgres are
> transactional unless their man page explicitly says they're not.

OK, didn't know that. Glad to read it.

Could you point to where in the doc this is stated?

It's hard to be sure about something the doc does *not* mention,
when what is *implied* is hard to find, or at a distance. Especially
at least another well known RDBMS differ in that department.
I much prefer the way PostgreSQL handles DDL, still it's not obvious.

My $0.02. Thanks, --DD