Re: PostgreSQL as advanced job queuing system

From: Dominique Devienne <ddevienne(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: ushi <ushi(at)mailbox(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL as advanced job queuing system
Date: 2024-03-25 09:42:50
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, Mar 23, 2024 at 3:13 AM Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 6:58 AM ushi <ushi(at)mailbox(dot)org> wrote:
>
>> the idea to implement a job queuing system using PostgreSQL.
>>

> I wrote an enterprise scheduler, called pgtask, which ochestates a very
> large amount of work [...]

Hi. Anything you can share? OSS? Doesn't look like it...
If it's not, a more details higher level architecture overview would be
nice.

> I'm running at a pretty high scale and it's reliable. [...]

Sounds great.

> Being able to manage the state explicitly in the database is wonderful, if
> you know what you're doing.

Indeed. I want to reduce the complexity of the stack as much as possible,
and rely only on PostgreSQL, if possible.
We don't need a super duper queue or full distributed system. So a
PostgreSQL-based solution aught to be enough. --DD